John’s practice is focused in general litigation with emphasis in healthcare law (including medical malpractice, False Claims Act litigation, Medicare/Medicaid audit defense, and regulatory compliance), personal injury, commercial/business litigation, insurance bad faith, wrongful termination, administrative law, workers’ compensation, and disability. John also maintains an appellate practice with past representation in the contexts of traditional appeals to the Mississippi Supreme Court, the Mississippi Court of Appeals, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, as well as appeals from administrative agency determinations to Mississippi’s circuit and chancery courts.
- Juris Doctor, magna cum laude – Mississippi College School of Law
- Chairman, Moot Court Board
- Editor, Mississippi College Law Review
- Bachelor of Arts, Biology – University of Mississippi
- Checkmate: How Sexual Predators in (Your)Space Have Strategically Employed Existing Cyber-Laws to Outflank their Prey, 28 Miss. C. L. Rev. 181, 2009
- Medicare Compliance Enforcement Trends: Recovery Efforts Brought Under the False Claims Act and Defending the RAC Audit, The MDLA Quarterly, October 2013
- Top of FormBottom of FormThe Three-Headed Monster of Healthcare Fraud Enforcement: the False Claims Act, Stark Law, and the Anti-Kickback Statute (American Bar Association – pending publication)
- Healthcare Recovery Actions Brought Under The False Claims Act: The Devil Is in the Details When It Comes to Insurance Coverage (pending publication in the American Bar Association’s The Health Lawyer)
- Potential for Insurance Coverage for Allegations of Allegations of Violation of the False Claims Act, Navigating Insurance Coverage Issues in the Face of Allegations of False Claims Act Violations, 2016
- Components of a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit and Strategies for Successfully Litigating Malpractice Claims, Anatomy of a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit, 2016
- Successful Strategies for Representing a Federally Qualified Health Center through a HRSA Site Review, Fundamentals of Federally Qualified Health Centers: Handling an HRSA Site Review and Recent Regulatory Trends, 2015
- Mississippi Bar – Member of Civil Appellate Practice Committee
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Mississippi
- United States District Court for the Southern Districts of Mississippi
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Vice Chair, Distance Learning Committee (2015)
- Vice Chair of the Health Law Committee for the YLD (2013/2014)
- Mississippi Defense Lawyers Association
Honors and Awards:
- AV Preeminent Rating – Martindale-Hubbell
- Leadership in Law – Class of 2014 – Top 40 – Mississippi Business Journal
- Clients’ Choice Award (2014) – Avvo
- Best Comment Award – MCSOL Law Review
Pro Bono Activities:
- Board Member – Meadowbrook Preschool
- Legal Counsel – Wind Dance Homeowners’ Association
- Mission First – 2010-2013
Excellent attorney! – 5.0 stars – Posted by Melanie on September 28, 2016
John provided invaluable help and guidance in a matter that was totally foreign to me. A friend of mine recommended John and I am so glad he did! He listened to me and answered all of my questions, no matter how ridiculous they were. With his hard work and determination, there was a pleasant outcome to an otherwise bad situation. I highly recommend John, and if I ever need an attorney again, I will definitely contact him!
* * *
John Nesbit is extremely helpful and accessible! – 5.0 stars – posted by Trish on September 12, 2016
* * *
Brad Hosemann vs. Goose Creek – 5.0 stars – Posted by William on April 20, 2016
He did a Awesome Job! He Stayed on top of it and made sure I made the right move. I am very thankful for his work.
* * *
Mr. John Nisbett – 5.0 stars – Posted by Tasha on December 15, 2015
My case with Mr.Nisbett was phenomenal. Mr. Nisbett. goes above and beyond what it takes to gather all valuable information that he feels will be beificial to win ones case. He doesn’t waste no time! He is very time efficient and keeps you informed every step of the way no matter what day of the week or time of day! The day I met John I was so lost emotionally and physically. A lawyer was the last thing I honestly wanted to look into. But, John has a whole different way about him. He is willing to take the time to listen to what I had say no matter how long it took me, and gather up my information. John is very accurate at what he does, you can tell he knows the law like the back of his hand and he has the patience and respect to go along with the aggressiveness. John by far is one of the best lawyers I have seen yet!
* * *
Excellent attorney! – 5.0 stars – Posted on September 25, 2015
John did an awesome job on my case. I would recommend him to anyone who is seeking a skilled and knowledgeable attorney. He informed me throughout my entire case and helped me resolve an issue that I did not think could get resolved. Not only was it resolved, but I’m very happy with the results. Thank you John!
* * *
Strong legal advocate – 5.0 stars – Posted on July 31, 2015
John never gave up on my case and guided me through a process that was completely unknown to me. He was very precise in the steps that we needed to follow in presenting and defending my case. He was a strong legal advocate that never gave up even when I was ready to do so. He faced big opponents and gave me my life back!
* * *
Over and Beyond The Call of Duty – 5.0 stars – Posted by David on March 23, 2015
I would like to take this opportunity to thank and say a few kind words to my lawyer John Nisbett. He has been very instrumental in getting a very difficult matter handled for me. He handled my case against the Federal Government which as you all know can be very difficult and they never want to admit that they did anything wrong what so ever. When I tell you this guy was on his job I really mean he was on it. I would highly recommend him to represent anyone that needs a very good, highly efficient well communicated and just plain old breaks it down to you so you can understand Lawyer. No legal talk that sometimes can go over your head. I could reach him day or night rain, sleet, or snow. I remember this guy calling me when he had the flu to discuss my case. I said “John, get some rest this can wait until you get better,” and then we both laughed. It was a great honor to work with John, hands down best attorney I ever had the pleasure of working with and if I’m in need of an attorney again I will not hesitate to pick up the phone and call John Nisbett. “I’m keeping your number on speed-dial.”
* * *
Reached Beyond Expectations – 5.0 stars – Posted by Robert on Feb 5, 2015
John always kept in communication keeping me up to date. If I had I had a question, he always responded immediately. He reached beyond my expectations of hard work and integrity which had a great end result. Great work John.
* * *
Attorney John Nisbett is Awesome – 5.0 stars – Posted by Shon on Dec 27, 2014
I strongly recommend the legal services provided by Attorney John Nisbett. I can honestly say that I received my money’s worth and was very satisfied with the outcome of my case. Attorney Nisbett promoted teamwork by keeping me abreast of all activities relative to my case, thus allowing me to assist with making informed decisions. He also clearly explained the legal jargon, was easily accessible (via phone, email, and text messaging), and worked one on one with me in organizing documents. I should add that he is very detailed oriented, which worked to my advantage and contributed to the positive outcome of my case. He was a joy to work with because he maintained a positive attitude and a high standard of professionalism. I give Attorney John Nisbett the highest of recommendations.
* * *
Knowledgeable attorney! – 5.0 stars – Posted by Vance on Dec 23, 2014
Not only is John a dedicated attorney, but he is also a good human being who always has your best interests at heart.
* * *
Phenomenal Appellate Attorney! – 5.0 stars – Posted by Brian on Dec 22, 2014
John effectively addressed the real issues in my case and in the end, earned majority opinion of the MS Supreme Court – his appellate skills are SECOND TO NONE! John composed my entire Appellate Brief, presented oral arguments to the MS Supreme Court and was actively engaged every step of the way throughout this process. I cannot express how grateful I am to such an honest man who truly cared about my case!
* * *
Great Experience – 5.0 stars – Posted by Elijah on Nov 26, 2014
My experience having John represent me was awesome! He was very knowledgeable and responsive in regards to my questions and concerns. I didn’t have to track him down in order to find out information about the progression of my case. Most of all he was honest and straightforward from the beginning and kept his word. Thanks John!
* * *
Excellent Attorney – 5.0 stars – Posted by Romero on Apr 21, 2014
Great attorney! Very professional & knowledgeable. He kept me focused on the big picture throughout the process. He went above and beyond the call of duty.
* * *
Relentless Advocate – 5.0 stars – Posted by Pamela on Mar 7, 2014
John is an extremely hard working lawyer. From our very first conversation, my husband and I knew that he would work in our best interest. He was completely trustworthy, reliable, accessible, and kept us informed the entire time. He told us, “Don’t worry…let me do that for you”… We were so at ease with John … like we had known him for years. I would recommend John Nisbett a thousand times to anyone in need of a competent lawyer.
* * *
Outstanding Advocate – 5.0 stars – Posted by Bruce on Nov 21, 2013
John is a very bright and conscientious attorney. He has been very helpful and professional, beyond expectations. Not only did he provide sound legal advice regarding employment issues, his integrity and knowledge gave me the confidence to know that I was in the right hands.
* * *
John Nisbett Review – 5.0 stars – Posted by Natalie on Nov 13, 2013
If you are looking for a hungry lawyer who is knowledgeable and a go get it type of lawyer, hire John. He worked hard and single-handedly brought down a Monster for me.
- Singley v. Trinity Hwy. Products, LLC, 2015 WL 3545236 (Miss. App. 2015)
- Bronk v. Hobson, 152 So. 3d 1130 (Miss. 2014)
- Boyd ex rel. Mastin v. Nunez, 135 So. 3d 114 (Miss. 2014), reh’g denied (Apr. 17, 2014)
- In re Green Hills Dev. Co., LLC, 445 B.R. 647 (Bankr. S.D. Miss. 2011), aff’d on other grounds sub nom. In re Green Hills Dev. Co., LLC, 741 F. 3d 651 (5th Cir. 2014)
- Scott v. S. Elec. Supply Co., Inc., 2013 WL 3280276 (N.D. Miss. 2013)
- Haag v. Infrasource Services, Inc., 514 Fed. App’x. 430 (5th Cir. 2013)
- Boyd ex rel. Mastin v. Nunez, 135 So. 3d 122 (Miss. App. 2013), reh’g denied (June 25, 2013)
- Great Am. E & S Ins. Co. v. Quintairos, Prieto, Wood & Boyer, P.A., 100 So. 3d 420 (Miss. 2012)
- Great Am. E & S Ins. Co. v. Quintairos, Prieto, Wood & Boyer, P.A., 100 So. 3d 453 (Miss. App. 2012)
- Haag v. Infrasource Corporate Services, LLC, 2012 WL 718876 (S.D. Miss. 2012)
- 5K Farms, Inc. v. Miss Dept. of Revenue, 94 So. 3d 221 (Miss. 2012)
- 5K Farms, Inc. v. Mississippi State Tax Commn., 94 So. 3d 291 (Miss. App. 2011)
- In re Credit Union Liquidity Services, LLC, 2010 WL 3399173 (Tex, App. – Dallas, 2010)
- Gallagher Bassett Services, Inc. v. Malone, 30 So. 3d 301 (Miss. 2010)
- Sykes v. Magnolia Healthcare, Inc., 2009 WL 5030673 (N.D. Miss. 2009)
- Patients’ Choice Medical Center of Humphries County, LLC v. Office of the Governor, 2009 WL 531861 (S.D. Miss. 2009)